Hummus is a popular and healthy snack enjoyed throughout the Mediterranean region, and adding a sprinkle of aromatic nigella seeds takes it to the next level. Nigella seeds, also known as black cumin seeds, add a unique and slightly nutty flavor to hummus that pairs well with the creamy chickpeas and tangy lemon juice.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
To make Mediterranean hummus with nigella seeds, you will need the following ingredients:
1 cup cooked chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- In a food processor, combine the cooked chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and cumin. Process until smooth.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the water and olive oil until the hummus reaches the desired consistency.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the nigella seeds.
- Serve the hummus with pita bread, crackers, or vegetables for dipping.
This recipe makes about 1 cup of hummus, and it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.